AMERICAN RED CROSS LIFEGUARD CERTIFICATION COURSE
Holiday Full or Renewal Courses
Full Course: 12/16 1:30pm (Swim Test)
12/26, 12/27, 12/28—9am-5pm each day
Renewal Course: 12/29—9am-5pm
Both Courses are Blended Learning.. After participants register, they will be sent a link to complete on-line classroom work PRIOR to the first day of class.
Call - (570) 823-2191 or e-mail Diana Dempsey
American Red Cross Lifeguard & Lifeguard Review Courses
The purpose of the American Red Cross Lifeguard course is to provide entry-level lifeguard participants with the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatic emergencies and to provide care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries and sudden illnesses until emergency medical services (EMS) personnel take over.
• Participants must pass a pre-course swim test in order to take the Full Courses, which includes:
• Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both, but swimming on the back or side is not permitted. Goggles may be used for this portion of the test.
• Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Arms must remain under the armpits. • THIS PORTION OF THE TEST IS TIMED! Participants have 1 minute, 40 seconds to complete the following: Starting in the shallow end of the pool, in the water swim 20 yards, surface dive to a depth of 7-10 feet, retrieve a 10 pound object, return to surface and swim 20 yards with legs only and exit the water without used a ladder or steps. Goggle are NOT permitted for this portion of the swim test.
• Minimum age of 15 on or before the final day of class.
• Participants must attend all days/times for the course. • Participants will pay the non-refundable registration fee to enroll in the courses. After passing the pre-course swim test they will pay the balance of the course fee in order to receive course materials.
• Full course participants will receive a hip pack, CPR mask set, whistle & lanyard.
• Review participants should bring their CPR mask set, whistle and lanyard to class.
• ALL COURSES ARE BLENDED LEARNING. UPON PASSING THE PRECOURSE SWIM TEST A LINK WILL BE EMAILED FOR PARTICIPANTS TO COMPLETE ALL CLASSROOM PORTIONS OF THE CLASS PRIOR TO THE FIRST DAY OF CLASS.
View More in our 2017 Fall Program Guide